I’m sure you’ve heard of the brand “Hydro Flask” already, but this article goes way beyond what you might already know.
As one of the newest trends in steel containers, Hydro Flask is quickly leading the industry with their new TempShield technology that even (slightly) beats out the YETI brand (according to FitnessTestLab).
What’s the big deal? I’m prepared to tell you everything you need to know about the Hydro Flask company and their popular tumblers.
The organization of this article:
- What is a Hydro Flask bottle?
- What are the benefits of a Hydro Flask?
- Who is Hydro Flask?
- Are there accessories?
What is a Hydro Flask bottle?
Cutting right to the chase, a Hydro Flask is a lightweight, durable tumbler with an endurance that’s guaranteed for life. The steel container protects both hot and cold liquids from the elements and keeps its temperature longer than its competition.
With the many combinations of different lids, colors, sizes, and carrying options, Hydro Flask (the company) offers one of the most versatile tumblers on the market with 20+ awards and proven TempShield technology.
What are the benefits of a Hydro Flask?
Don’t go on a hike without one of these “bad boys.”
For most of my life, I used to only hike with a backpack and plastic water bottles (I’m not always a fan of super cold water). I would take pride in not having to spend money would take only the bare essentials, but to be honest those water bottles would heat up from the sun and the heat from my back – to say the least, bringing plastic water bottles would force me to drink warm water (not very refreshing on a hike in the sun!).
The benefits are almost self-explanatory:
- Keep ice-cold water for up to 24 hours
- Keep hot up to 6 hours
- Double wall insulation
- No condensation or heat transfer (to the outside of the bottle)
- Vacuum insulated
- Powder coat for extra durability and a slip-free grip
- 18/8 pro-grade stainless steel
- No flavor transfer
- Handle built in (though there are accessory options I’ll list near the end)
- 183, 456 unique combinations
- 7 different sizes, 2 lid types (many other non-Hydro Flask branded lids), 4 parts, and 14 colors
- Color options: silver, black, pink, red, blue, purple, green, orange, yellow, teal, green, navy, and other variations.
My wife was the one who first introduced me to Hydro Flask a few years ago and she still has the teal tumbler she uses almost every day.
Thanks to Hydro Flask’s patented ovens, these bottles really do have durability. My wife’s bottle still looks the same as when she first bought it years ago! She had even bought the light teal color and even after putting it through hikes, beach visits, and dog runs, the color is still bright and vivid without any scratches.
And I can attest to the amazing temperature-keeping capabilities. My wife brings hers on hikes all the time and the ice never seems to melt, even at the end of the day, 8 hours later! The ice just seems to never melt.
As far as drinking hot drinks, Hydro Flasks keep warmth in for a lot longer than generic steel tumblers and YETI branded flasks. According to FitnessTestLab’s experiment, liquid at 180º F will only lose 50 degrees after 5 hours in the Hydro Flask (which is about 10 degrees less than the YETI brand flasks).
Who is Hydro Flask?
The company was founded in 2009 in Bend, Oregon and after only 2-years in operation, they reached 1 million in sales. Inc 500 listed Hydro Flask on their fastest growing company list and has also made Outside Magazine’s list for “Best Places to Work” (most likely because they take hikes as a company before the workday starts!).
They’ve just recently expanded their company overseas in Europe two years ago and the brand, Hydro Flask, is now internationally recognized. Their list of awards is quite extensive!
Hydro Flask awards:
- 12/01/2017 – Men’s Journal (Gear of the Year)
- 11/15/2017 – Outside Magazine (The 2018 Winter Buyer’s Guide)
- 09/15/2017 – The Wirecutter (Best Tumbler)
- 09/09/2017 – Outdoor Gear Lab (Editor’s Choice)
- 08/15/2017 – Sunset Magazine ( Travel Award)
- 08/10/2017 – Central Oregon Association of Realtors (Building a Better Central Oregon Awardee)
- 07/27/2017 – Outside Magazine (2017 Gear of the Show)
- 07/27/2017 – The Manual (Best of the Show)
- 07/27/2017 – Carryology (Rising Star Award)
- 07/27/2017 – Gumption Gear (Best in Show)
- 07/27/2017 – Outdoor Retailer Daily (Editor’s Choice)
- 06/23/2017 – Outdoor Show Freidrichshafen (Industry Award Winner)
- 05/01/2017 – Backpacker Magazine (Editor’s Choice, Spring Gear Guide)
- 01/31/2017 – Good Design Awards (Two Good Design Awards)
- 01/27/2017 – National Association for Business Resources (National Best and Brightest in Wellness Award Winner 2016)
- 01/07/2016 – REI (REI Vendor of the Year in ActionSports)
- 12/08/2015 – Community Applause Award (Oregon Bankers Association Award for service in the community)
- 09/15/2015 – Greatest.com (named Hydro Flask the healthiest company to work for)
There are about 10 to 15 more awards that date back to the PGA Merchandise Show award for “Best New Product” back in December 2012.
Hydro Flask is well recognized with plenty of awards over the last 5+ years and apart from how they look on paper, I can personally say everyone who tries a Hydro Flask seems to never go back.
Once you try Hydro Flask, you may never want to try another tumbler – kind of like avoiding downgrading (since Hydro Flask has been proven to be the best in the market as of now).
Are there accessories?
Most people who own a Hydro Flask don’t know about the extra accessories! Definitely one my favorite parts. I didn’t really fall in love with Hydro Flask until my wife discovered some amazing additions that really improve the capability of these nifty tumblers.
Apart from the “FlexCap” that comes with the generic Hydro Flask, there are many other options to choose from! Instead of listing these options with text, I’ll just list the photos. Feel free to click on any photo to price check on Amazon!
If you don’t like the “straw” style lid, then you can purchase the “sports cap” style. My wife loves the straw style, but I think it gets kind of gross after a while. It also just feels more “manly” to have the SPORTS cap!
Another amazing option is the “survival strap cord” that comes with a built-in compass and distress whistle! My wife has this on hers and it matches the rugged look and durability of the Hydro Flask. Plus you can choose the specific color that matches your Hydro Flask!