*Originally published Jan 23, 2018. Updated on Feb 18, 2018.
Believe it or not my last name, “Chandler,” means candle maker. Growing up my mom would craft her own candles and burn multiple scents each and every day – even to the point where it became a a health concern for the family (good times though). To say the least, I love candles. They are the easiest and most effective way to improve the atmosphere of any room (for really any purpose).
Out of all the candles I’ve come across, the WoodWick brand is by far the best and most effective form of candle burning on the market. If you haven’t looked into them or heard of them, PLEASE save yourself and try one of these bad-boys out. You won’t regret it.
History of WoodWick Candles
The company who originally led to the creation of the WoodWick brand was founded in 1985 as “Dalvins” and created a concept store in 1997 labelled, “The Woods,” in Maple Grove, Minnesota (according to their website). Soon their popularity grew their customer base and their contributions to the community have gone a long way (including groups such as CROSS Food Shelf, Special Olympics, Toys for Tots, and United Way to name a few).
The official name of the company that owns the patented design of the WoodWick candles is known as “The Woods Gifts.”
What’s So Special?
The WoodWick Candles are not just candles. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing through their rich aromas, but the wooden wick in the middle of the candle (instead of the traditional twine or woven fabric) produces a pleasant sound of crackling wood.
The Woods patented their “crackling” design as PlusWick, so you can’t find it anywhere else. The warm sounds and feelings of a summertime bonfire now come in a small and mess-free little package with options of wonderful scents!
As my favorite brand of candles, I love to sit in my room at night with just my candle and a nice book. The crackling fire from the candle makes for a pleasant sound machine in the background – not too loud, but aesthetically incomparable to traditional candles (which have no sound – how boring!).
Because the wick itself causes a different type flame, the rate the candles burn is far improved as well:
- 10-oz WoodWick candles burn for up to 100 hours!
- 22-oz WoodWick candles burn for up to 180 hours!
According to CandleTech.com, the average small candle burns 7 to 9 hours per ounce of wax, whereas larger wick candles burn for up to 5 to 7 hours. This means:
- 10-oz normal candles burn for up to 70 to 90 hours
- 22-oz normal candles burn for up to 110 to 154 hours
The WoodWick candle design burns for an extra 10 to 26 hours MINIMUM.
Not only do they have the naturally built-in crackling sound, they last much longer than the traditional candles. They also advertise their candles to burn cleaner (all the way to the edges of the glass container) and the burn style throws the fragrance farther!
Types of Scents
Their scent line is as vast as any other candle line but far more creative in their titles. Just the names of their scents are aesthetically pleasing! Their scents include:
- Havan Nights
- Vineyard Nights
- Campfire Marshmallow
- Gold Spun Sugar & Sand
- Tropical Oasis
- At the Beach
- Sunset Beach
- Tropical Cooler
- Cotton Flower
- Cinnamon Chair
- Grown Cinamon
- Spiced Rum
- Dew Drops
- Water Garden
- Aegean Sea
- Frasier Fir
- Velvet Woods
- Vanilla Bean
- Caramel Biscotti
- And more!
Because the WoodWick candles are a bit different, it is suggested that they are treated and cared for differently too. Their site (woodwick-candles.com) goes into a vast amount of detail, but the most important things to keep in mind are these little tidbits:
- Make sure the wick is always trimmed down to about 1/8 inch (IMPORTANT)
- When almost out of wax, stop the burn a fourth of an inch from the bottom
- Do not burn for more than four hours at a time (IMPORTANT)
- Allow cooling for two hours before trimming the wick
- Always burn for two to three hours at a time (IMPORTANT)
- Obviously, keep in mind of standard candle safety as described further on their site
The WoodWick candles were immediately my favorite as soon as I lit my first candle a few years back. I had no idea a simple Christmas gift could change my opinion of what a true “candle” really is so drastically – but then again, I don’t think many people know of these amazing candles!
So to review, here’s some SparkNotes to take away from this article:
- Extra PlusWick provides a natural crackling sound (low volume)
- Fragrance spreads farther than traditional candles
- WoodWick candles burn up to 10 to 26 hours longer (depending on size)
- Burn them for 2 to 3 hours at a time, but no more than 4 hours
- Wick should always be trimmed to about an 8th inch
- WoodWick candles is owned by The Woods (est. 1985) – a company that gives back to their community
- Growing fast in popularity
I hope I’ve convinced you to at least think about taking a WoodWick candle home, because it may chance your candle experience. I’m very curious of your opinion if you do!
What is your opinion? Do you prefer traditional, sound-free candles? Or do you absolutely love WoodWick?
Let me know your thoughts! Would love to hear from you.